The KZN Department of Transport found themselves with an IT budget and the will to implement initiatives but a lack of a well-defined roadmap that stipulates where the budget should be spent.
Learn how QualiWare solved this problem, how the implementation went, and which additional benefits they experienced.
The KZN Department of Transport wanted to initiate a project that would implement the Enterprise Architecture Framework and empower them to manage its own enterprise architecture.
The KZN Department benefitted from implementing the QualiWare Enterprise Architecture solution by:
- Having access to an enterprise architecture repository with an object base of +- 100 000 objects, where each object represents some form of information or intelligence regarding the Department.
- Gaining the ability to fully understand each process in the KZN Department and the data, applications, and technologies that enable each process.
- Gaining the ability to fast-track training of new employees by exposing them to the complete blueprint of the Department
- Creating a better understanding of the scope of services offered and how the directorates depend on each other.
- Having access to a comprehensive strategic roadmap that details all of the current issues being experienced in the KZN Department from a process, information, data, application, and technology perspective.
- Gaining a comprehensive list of suggested initiatives to resolve current issues or enhance the service delivery (internal and external) of the KZN Department
- Experiencing significant improvements in all downstream projects due to the easy availability and access to relevant information.
- Unlocking and accessing an IT budget that will be used to make great strides in achieving and supporting the KZN Department's strategic objectives.
How the implementation was handled
There are no two clients alike for QualiWare. Each client has specific needs and projects in which QualiWare should support them.
Therefore, every implementation is planned with the particular client's needs in mind.
The implementation process for The KZN Department of Transport went as follows;
- Making cloud-based QualiWare repository available.
- Transforming the empty GWEA Framework from its paper-based format into a modern, fully "drillable" Enterprise Architecture toolset (Qualiware)
- Undertaking detailed analysis of the Departmental structure and directorates
- Conduct comprehensive workshop interviews with management teams of all directorates to unpack the inner workings and processes of the KZN Department
- Develop a comprehensive Business Architecture
- Develop a comprehensive Data Architecture
- Develop a comprehensive Application Architecture
- Develop a comprehensive Technology Architecture
- Assist in the development of a strategic roadmap that is aligned to the architectural needs of the KZN Department
- Implement the QualiWare Enterprise Architecture Tool in the KZN Department
- Empower the KZN Department to utilize the enterprise architecture capability in future projects (Dependent on the structure of the Department)
The KZN Department decided to implement an initiative to ensure that the QualiWare repository remains updated and aligned to the EA Framework and TOGAF as changes are made.
This ensures that the investment of time and money into the project will continue to provide value to the KZN Department.
There will also be an element of Enterprise Architecture involved in future projects to ensure that the QualiWare repository remains fully up-to-date with the changes in the departmental architectures.
Often, organizations believe they are too architecturally immature to properly exploit a comprehensive EA tool like QualiWare.
However, the secret is to take it one step at a time while focusing on creating coherency, consensus, and consistency.
Once the decision has been made to establish an architecture that fosters collaboration and breaks down the silo culture, you need to focus first on urgent areas for your organization.
Choosing to implement QualiWare is the first step toward enabling continuous positive change in your organization.
Schedule your demo today
If you would like to learn more about what QualiWare can do for your organization, please don't hesitate to request a demo, which can be performed online.